Thursday, April 3, 2008

Flash Back

I was standing at work in the prep area of the kitchen, and I was trying to stay busy. I decided to peel shrimp, and this is a very long, boring process. It took about an hour and a half to finish the whole pan. While I was standing there, a flash back came to me from my culinary school. Peeling this shrimp reminded me of my Euro-Asian cooking class with Chef Watson......one of the hardest instructors at the school.
His class was ran his way, and his way only. He told us to stay busy, help each other out, or move on with the lesson of the day, but when any body tried to move on, he would yell at us and make the whole class feel dumb. He was the type of person who wanted everything to be perfect, and he was scared to let anyone take a chance because his idea of "perfection" might be ruined. Chef Watson went on and on about the history of the food that we were making, which was really neat, but then he would digress to how his trip to every European country was and how the women loved him and his money. His stories and his knowledge were very entertaining, but he did not know how to shut up. His class was the longest three weeks of school.
During the last week of his class, we were studding Asian cuisine. He was doing a demo of a famous dish that had a whole fish (but I can not remember what kind or the name of the dish).It was served on a platter with fish sauce and rice, or something like that. He put his demo in the window so the people walking around could see it. Little did he know, there was a group of elementary school students taking a tour of the school and having lunch in the student run restaurant. They walked by our class room and saw the fish in the window. Chef Watson thought it would be fun to "play" with the kids through the glass. He ran over to his desk and grabbed a pair of chopsticks and plucked the eye right out of the dead fish and ate it in front of the kids. The looks on their faces were priceless. They were so grossed out. Everyone in my class laughed.
Chef Watson was one of my least favorite teachers at LCB, but for some strange reason, I will always remember that day and the look on those poor kids' face.

2 comments:

pchickki said...

What an interesting teacher he sounds like. You will probably always remember him for the things he taught you also.

Hey, that would gross me out too!
xoxox
Grama

Jennifer Minick said...

hey! i have a blog now :)